WHAT DO THE GRADES MEAN?
Motor oils use a rating system developed by SAE, which is the Society of Automotive Engineers, to classify oil by viscosity. We’re all used to seeing designations like SAE 5W-30 or SAE 10W-30, so let’s talk about what they really mean.
For multi-grade viscosity motor oils, the cold-temperature viscosity is labelled with a “W,” which stands for “winter.” Thus, in an SAE 10W-30 motor oil, the “10” is the cold-temperature viscosity rating and the “30” is the high-temperature viscosity rating. This combination provides a motor oil that flows well at low temperatures, but still protects the engine at high temperatures.
For comparison’s sake, SAE 5W-30 and SAE 0W-30 will flow better at even lower temperatures than 10W-30 while still providing protection at high temperatures. Just remember, the “W” stands for winter.
Please refer to your owner’s manual or our Motor Oil Selector tool to ensure you are using the recommended motor oil for your vehicle.
Synthetic Blend Motor Oil
Pennzoil® Gold™ helps clean out sludge lesser oils leave behind plus keeps pistons up to 10% cleaner than the toughest industry standard.1
Cleansing and Protection
Pennzoil® Gold™ is a synthetic blend motor oil with a combination of high-quality conventional and synthetic base oils and additives to provide better protection for severe driving conditions (such as stop-and-go driving, frequent short trips, extreme temperatures, idling and towing) than conventional oil. Pennzoil® Gold™ keeps pistons up to 10% cleaner than the toughest industry standard1 and helps clean out sludge lesser oils leave behind.2
1Based on ILSAC GF-5 and Sequence IIIG piston deposit test using SAE 5W-30.
2Based on severe sludge clean-up test using SAE 5W-30.
DRIVE A GM VEHICLE?
There is a dexos-approved Pennzoil motor oil especially for your GM vehicle, Pennzoil Synthetic Blend dexos1™.
Benefits of Pennzoil® Gold™ Synthetic Blend Motor Oil
- Cleans out up to 40% of sludge in the 1st oil change1
- Better for severe driving conditions than conventional oil2
- No leading conventional or synthetic blend oil helps keep engines cleaner3
- No leading conventional or synthetic blend oil provides better wear protection4
- Backed by the Pennzoil® Lubrication Limited Warranty
1Based on severe sludge clean-up test using 5W-30.
2Examples of severe driving conditions are stop-and-go driving, frequent short trips, extreme hot or cold temperatures, extensive idling, driving with heavy loads, driving in dusty conditions.
3Based on Sequence VG sludge test using SAE 5W-30.
4Based on Sequence IVA wear test using SAE 5W-30.
Synthetic Blend Motor Oil
Meets or exceeds the requirements of the following industry specifications:
- Exceeds API SN and all previous categories and ILSAC GF-5
- Meets Ford WSS-M2C945-A/WSS-M2C930-A, Chrysler MS6395 and GM 6094M (SAE 5W-20)
- Meets Ford WSS-M2C946-A/WSS-M2C929-A, Chrysler MS-6395 and GM 6094M (SAE 5W-30)
- Meets Chrysler MS6395 and GM 6094M (SAE 10W-30)
- Meets service fill requirements of most Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Subaru, Hyundai, Kia and other Asian and Japanese vehicles
FREE coverage up to 10 years/300,000 miles
- Free warranty with purchase of any Pennzoil® motor oil
- Coverage up to 300,000 miles or 10 years (whichever is first) if you exclusively use Pennzoil Platinum®, Pennzoil Gold™, Pennzoil® High Mileage Vehicle® or Pennzoil® Conventional motor oil
- Easy to enroll
- Covers 15 critical engine parts
- Completely transferable to future owner
- Customized for each driver’s specific OEM recommended oil change schedule
- Offers convenient reminders when it’s time to change your motor oil