WHAT DO THE GRADES MEAN?
Motor oils use a rating system developed by SAE, which is the Society of Automotive Engineers, to classify oil by viscosity. We’re all used to seeing designations like SAE 5W-30 or SAE 10W-30, so let’s talk about what they really mean.
For multi-grade viscosity motor oils, the cold-temperature viscosity is labelled with a “W,” which stands for “winter.” Thus, in an SAE 10W-30 motor oil, the “10” is the cold-temperature viscosity rating and the “30” is the high-temperature viscosity rating. This combination provides a motor oil that flows well at low temperatures, but still protects the engine at high temperatures.
For comparison’s sake, SAE 5W-30 and SAE 0W-30 will flow better at even lower temperatures than 10W-30 while still providing protection at high temperatures. Just remember, the “W” stands for winter.
Please refer to your owner’s manual or our Motor Oil Selector tool to ensure you are using the recommended motor oil for your vehicle.
Pennzoil® Synthetic Blend dexos1™
Synthetic Blend Motor Oil
Cleansing and Protection
The dexos specification holds motor oils to the same stringent requirements as GM’s most advanced engine technology. GM dexos1™ testing contains specific proprietary tests that are not included in current industry standards. Meaning, GM dexos1™ approved oils exceed the performance of today’s conventional oil.
Benefits of Pennzoil® Synthetic Blend dexos1™ Motor Oil
- Specially formulated for use in all GM vehicles
- Helps prevent sludge and other damaging deposits
- Provides proven wear protection
- Controls high-temperature oxidation and deposits
- Contains at least 50% synthetic base oil for added oxidation stability, improved volatility and low temperature properties
- Backed by the Pennzoil Lubrication Limited Warranty
Pennzoil® Synthetic Blend dexos1™ Motor Oil
Meets or exceeds the requirements of the following industry specifications:
- Exceeds GM dexos1™ specification
- Exceeds API SN Service Classification
- Exceeds the highest U.S. standards for automotive engine wear protection
- Meets or exceeds many manufacturers’ U.S. warranty requirements
- Exceeds ILSAC GF 5 requirements
Specifications may vary by viscosity grade.
FREE coverage up to 10 years/300,000 miles
- Free warranty with purchase of any Pennzoil® motor oil
- Coverage up to 300,000 miles or 10 years (whichever is first) if you exclusively use Pennzoil Platinum®, Pennzoil Gold™, Pennzoil® High Mileage Vehicle® or Pennzoil® Conventional motor oil
- Easy to enroll
- Covers 15 critical engine parts
- Completely transferable to future owner
- Customized for each driver’s specific OEM recommended oil change schedule
- Offers convenient reminders when it’s time to change your motor oil