WHAT DO THE GRADES MEAN?
Motor oils use a rating system developed by SAE, which is the Society of Automotive Engineers, to classify oil by viscosity. We’re all used to seeing designations like SAE 5W-30 or SAE 10W-30, so let’s talk about what they really mean.
For multi-grade viscosity motor oils, the cold-temperature viscosity is labelled with a “W,” which stands for “winter.” Thus, in an SAE 10W-30 motor oil, the “10” is the cold-temperature viscosity rating and the “30” is the high-temperature viscosity rating. This combination provides a motor oil that flows well at low temperatures, but still protects the engine at high temperatures.
For comparison’s sake, SAE 5W-30 and SAE 0W-30 will flow better at even lower temperatures than 10W-30 while still providing protection at high temperatures. Just remember, the “W” stands for winter.
Please refer to your owner’s manual or our Motor Oil Selector tool to ensure you are using the recommended motor oil for your vehicle.
Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil
Thinking of trading up to a full synthetic motor oil? The Superior1 Active Cleansing AgentsTM in Pennzoil Platinum® synthetic motor oil keep your engine clean so you can drive on average an extra 550 miles per year vs. a dirty engine and enjoy more memories on the road.2
Cleansing and Protection
Pennzoil Platinum® is an advanced full synthetic motor oil. Formulated with Superior1 Active Cleansing AgentsTM, it continuously attacks potential and stubborn deposits to help keep vital engine parts clean. In fact, Pennzoil Platinum® keeps your engine up to 40% cleaner than current industry standards3. The ability to clean up your engine helps maximize engine protection and responsiveness.
keeps pistons up to
- 8% cleaner than Mobil 1
- 17% cleaner than Valvoline® SynPower®
- 20% cleaner than Castrol® EDGE® with SYNTEC® 4
1Superior versus our conventional and synthetic blend oils.
2Fuel economy measurements made using CAFE cycle under FTP75. Avg of 550 extra miles based on mixed city/highway miles and US avg of 13,476 miles driven per year with 4.1% better MPG vs dirty engine. Source fhwa.dot.gov, 2011. Follow OEM recommended oil drain intervals.
3Based on ILSAC GF-5 and Sequence IIIG piston deposit test using SAE 5W-30.
4Graph not to scale. Actual advantage over competition: Pennzoil Platinum® keeps pistons up to 8% cleaner than Mobil 1; up to 17% cleaner than Valvoline® SynPower®; and up to 20% cleaner than Castrol® EDGE® with SYNTEC®. Based on ASTM Sequence IIIG Piston Deposit test using SAE 5W-30.
Benefits of Pennzoil Platinum® Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil
- Cleans out engine sludge better than our conventional and synthetic blend oils1
- Better for severe driving conditions than conventional and synthetic blend oils2,3
- No other leading motor oil helps keep engines cleaner4
- No other leading full synthetic oil provides better wear protection5
- Backed by the Pennzoil® Lubrication Limited Warranty (see below)
- Exceeds the most stringent car manufacturer requirements for cleanliness and protection6
1Based on severe sludge clean-up test using SAE 5W-30.
2Superior vs. our conventional and synthetic blend oils.
3Examples of severe driving conditions are stop-and-go driving, frequent short trips, extreme hot or cold temperatures, extensive idling, driving with heavy loads, driving in dusty conditions.
4Based on Sequence VG sludge test using SAE 5W-30.
5Based on Sequence IVA wear test using SAE 5W-30.
6Based on GF-5, Ford, Chrysler and GM specifications.
Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil
Exceeds the requirements of the following industry specifications:
- Exceeds API SN and all previous categories; ILSAC GF-5 (Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W-30)
- Pennzoil Platinum® 0W-20 meets requirements for Toyota/Lexus, Nissan, Honda, Suzuki, Subaru and other manufacturers where SAE 0W-20 is required
- Pennzoil Platinum® 5W-20 exceeds Chrysler MS-6395, Ford WSS-M2C945-A/WSS-M2C930-A, dexos1™ Certification and GM 6094M
- Pennzoil Platinum® 5W-30 exceeds Chrysler MS-6395, Ford WSS-M2C946-AWSS-M2C929-A, GM 6094M, GM 4718M, dexos1™ Certification and Honda/Acura HTO-06
- Pennzoil Platinum® 10W-30 exceeds Chrysler MS-6395, GM 6094M and GM 4718M
- Pennzoil Platinum® European Ultra Diesel 5W-30 meets API SL/CF, ACEA C3, A3/B4-08, MB Approval – 229.51, BMW LL-04, VW 505 01, Chrysler MS-11106
- Pennzoil Platinum® Euro Ultra 5W-30 meets API SH/CF, ACEA A3/B4, MB-Approval 229.5, BMW LL-01, and VW 502 00/505 00/503.01
Specifications may vary by viscosity grade.
FREE coverage up to 10 years/300,000 miles
- Free warranty with purchase of any Pennzoil® motor oil
- Coverage up to 300,000 miles or 10 years (whichever is first) if you exclusively use Pennzoil Platinum®, Pennzoil Gold™, Pennzoil® High Mileage Vehicle® or Pennzoil® Conventional motor oil
- Easy to enroll
- Covers 15 critical engine parts
- Completely transferable to future owner
- Customized for each driver’s specific OEM recommended oil change schedule
- Offers convenient reminders when it’s time to change your motor oil